Friends of Lafitte Greenway
Project Title: Evaluation & Community Engagement Intern
Background: The Lafitte Greenway connects 6 diverse neighborhoods, from Lakeview, where the average life expectancy is 80 years, to Tremé, where the average life expectancy is only 55 years (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation 2013). Friends of Lafitte Greenway (FOLG) works to narrow this staggering 25-year life expectancy gap by connecting people to the Greenway, to opportunities to be healthy, and to each other. FOLG operates 7 programs on the Lafitte Greenway that integrate preventative health, environmental stewardship and community building to get residents outside and active on the Lafitte Greenway. FOLG has just completed the planning process for a 3-year strategic plan to advance FOLG’s vision of a vibrant and healthy public space that connects people to nature, their destinations and each other. The Evaluation & Community Engagement Intern will work to develop and Evaluation & Community Engagement Intern deliver an evaluation plan for the strategic plan, and support the launch of two new community engagement volunteer teams.
Student’s Responsibilities and Activities: Student will work closely with FOLG’s Program Director to apply best practices in evaluation and community engagement to strengthen FOLG community health programs. The intern will develop a series of community input questions, and evaluation metrics for Friends’ Strategic Plan, and manage volunteers and community members to conduct both community engagement activities and evaluation activities along the Greenway.
Assess community engagement and evaluation best practices.
- Research local and national best practices for community engagement at parks amenities
- Assess the impact of public green space on health and community connections
- Synthesize existing research to develop an evaluation procedure to support communication, program improvement and fundraising efforts.
- Develop and manage monitoring and evaluation tools to ensure programs’ continued success.
Apply research and best practices to develop and deliver quality programming.
- Develop targeted evaluation questions on Friends’ programming and strategic plan delivery
- Coordinate volunteer community engagement efforts
- Strengthen 13th Annual Hike the Lafitte Greenway event through developing and leading fun, creative, and engaging community input activities.
Communicate the Greenway’s story to inspire residents and funders alike.
- Assist in development of communications briefings for community engagement volunteers, greenway street team, and organizational partners.
- Analyze results of community engagement efforts and prepare briefing for internal and external communications.
- Document programming and community input with photographs, stories, and testimonials from program participants.
Preceptor: Nellie Catzen, Program Director, Friends of Lafitte Greenway.
Transportation: A car is not required. Computers are not available; student will be required to use personal computer. The internship site is located in the Sojourner Truth Neighborhood Center, 2200 Lafitte St. New Orleans, 70119, as well as on the Lafitte Greenway and surrounding neighborhoods.
For more information about this organization, visit www.lafittegreenway.org