Broad Community Connections/ReFresh Project
Project Title: ReFresh Project Intern
Background: Broad Community Connections (BCC) seeks a student to assist in developing and implementing various parts of the ReFresh Project Collective Impact framework. Following Collective Impact best practices, the student will work closely with BCC staff, Refresh Project organizational partners, and community stakeholders to develop and implement a shared measurement and evaluation system following the Results- Based Accountability framework. The intern may also have the opportunity to refine and design various collaborative work plans (including health education programming) and help the organization with other needs related to the ReFresh Project as necessary, including grant writing, community outreach, report writing, and more. As BCC is headed into new territory as a collaborative, there will likely be other projects relevant to advancing BCC’s work that the student can take leadership over depending on their interests. BCC believes this is an extraordinary opportunity for a public health graduate student to be on the front lines of developing and implementing a place-based public health Collective Impact initiative with a multitude of stakeholders committed to addressing the social determinants of health.
Student’s Responsibilities and Activities: BCC is able to host a student from December 2018 or January 2019 through May 2019, depending on student availability. BCC has also had a positive experience extending the PRC Practicum student’s timeline beyond the spring and into summer or fall based on student availability, desire to continue, and organizational need. Responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of monitoring & evaluation mechanisms to track the collaborative’s process objectives, as well as show what impact collaborative strategies have on partner effectiveness, partner equity-in-practice, and community health outcomes.
- Work with BCC staff, organizational partners & community members to refine overarching ReFresh strategies, including attending strategic planning meetings and meetings with BCC consultants.
- Assist in coordinating collaborative programming on a variety of public health topics, including: nutrition, cooking, gardening, and physical fitness education; workforce and economic development; and access to healthcare.
- Work with BCC staff, organizational partners, and community leaders to develop mechanisms through which community members can provide feedback and become involved in ReFresh planning and programming.
- Work with BCC staff and organizational partners to develop infrastructure that allows for consistent and efficient communication between ReFresh organizational partners.
- Assist BCC staff in grant writing for ReFresh programs and initiatives.
- Attend and take notes at monthly ReFresh Coalition meetings.
Supervisor: Director Liz Burpee, MPH, MSW, ReFresh Director.
Transportation: A car is not required. Student will be expected to work both from home and the BCC office at the ReFresh Project, 300 N Broad Street, Suite 208. The site is located near the Canal Street streetcar line.
For more information about this organization, visit broadcommunityconnections.org